I have briefly read Miserable Old Fart's blog about some counter St David's day rally that is set to take place in Cardiff by 'Socialists' who describe Nationalism as a 'bigoted ideology'. The rally will celebrate Internationalism and solidarity, and undermine the concept of Nationhood and borders. Now, I know that Alwyn ap Huw has little regard for my politics, but it is a bit insulting that he has chosen to place me in the same category as the organisers of this event in Cardiff. I am proud to be a Nationalist, there is no question about that. I am proud to say that I am a Nationalist, even when it was considered ( and still is in some places) as an agressive, foreign concept in the community where I grew up- amongst a people who expected me to morph into a good Labour activist without hesitation.
I do not see how Socialism and Nationalism are in fact anathema to each other as Alwyn so clearly believes. In my opinion, the two ideologies are an essential mix if we are to achieve the Wales that we want to create for the future. By Wales becoming a prosperous, free Nation, we must also seek to achieve equality and social development. I have no interest in campaigning for a Parliament for Wales that does not aspire to both Nationalistic goals and social values hand in hand. A Wales which governs itself must do so effectively and fairly. I'm not in the business of advocating Independence without taking in to regard the type of Independent Wales I would like to see.
Too simplistic? That may be the case, but if so, then I do not understand the rush that is to criticise the 'Socialists' in Plaid Cymru- the dirty word for MOF and the like. As was said in the comment section of Alwyn's blog, Plaid's membership is made up of mainly left of centre activists. We are a broad church of minds and ideas, there is no denying that- but I think that this is healthy for any political party, and encourages debate amongst members. Priorities may differ, but we are all in the same party, and sign up to the concept of Nationalism, and the importance of self determination.
It is too easy a hit for Alwyn ap Huw to place a few said Plaid Socialists in a little box together, and dismiss us as loonies and as insignificant players in the National cause. He should know that there is wide support for our left credentials in the party, and that the Leadership see that such elements within the party add a fresh, and necessary dimension to policy discourse, and effectively widens our appeal as a party to external groups, organisations and constituents alike.
I have no problem with people like Alwyn ap Huw having arguments around policy with the likes of myself, but it does grate on me that Plaid sympathisers are intent on perhaps overly criticising their own people and raising personal agendas within the party as opposed to targeting criticism at the opposition.
Long may the debate continue.
Oh, and by the way, I was at the St David's Day rally two years ago as well. I was the one flying the red flag by the way ;-)
Saturday, 16 February 2008
Is it possible to be more miserable that Miserable Old Fart?
Labels:
Alwyn ap Huw,
Miserable Old Fart,
St David's Day

6 comments:
I am the Secretary of Plaid's trade union section and have been at every St David's Day rally from its inception, along with many other trade unionists from the party.
I will be there again this year, with my family. For me, my politics and Plaid's ideology work well together.
I have to agree with you on this...
And i think Plaid dinosaurs like Alwyn, although often thoughtful are mealy mouthed in not accepting unless Plaid ditched their rampant committment to Welsh nationalism, their anti Eu and right wing tendencies and 'adopted' socialism then they would still be a pressure group, not the second largest party in Wales.
The anti-St David's Day demo post on the urban75 website mentioned by the "miserable old fart" is the work of one individuals trying to wind - up nationalist who post regularly on that website.
There will be no anti-St.David's demo.
If Plaid's right-wing are that gullible you've noting much to worry about
Southpaw Grammar Says:
And i think Plaid dinosaurs like Alwyn, although often thoughtful are mealy mouthed in not accepting unless Plaid ditched their rampant commitment to Welsh nationalism, their anti Eu and right wing tendencies and 'adopted' socialism then they would still be a pressure group, not the second largest party in Wales.
Interesting. I joined Plaid in 1979 because I believed in Welsh Nationalism, not because I wanted the party to be the second largest party in Wales. Why leave it at second party? Ditch some more policies and Plaid could become the biggest of all parties in Wales. Wahey! But what is the point of a Nationalist party elected because it opposes nationalism? Or in Labour's case a socialist party elected by ditching socialism?
As for dinosaurs, look around the world and you will find that the evolution of small independent nations is the in thing,(eg Kosova, just yesterday) and that it is centerist socialism that is rapidly becoming extinct!
My point is that Plaid would be nowhere without ditching your worldview, see thats democracy, you know when people vote for you in sufficient numbers.
Post a Comment