Reading the BBC website, and the story initiated by Darren Millar criticising Anna Richards from Waste Awarenss Wales's trip to Australia to look at how they administer their recycling policies, I thought it was a little hypocritical, and a cheap way of point scoring to be honest.
Remember that Darren is on the Sustainability committee that last month flew to Austria and Berlin ( from Terminal 5 of all places) to look in to carbon reduction strategies. Now, I'm all for fact finding missions. The few ones that I have been on to Brussels and Scotland with the Petitions committee have been very useful indeed, but Darran Millar shouldn't criticise the actions of a publicly funded body who choose to carry out research in this most important area as a 'waste'.
It is at the top of the political agenda at the moment due to Nerys Evans AM's measure with regards to limiting recycling sent abroad, therefore I do not criticise the attempts by those in the sector who wish to seek expert advice, and to learn from best practise in other countries. Surely if we want to implement the most effective policies in this field, then we need to ensure that we are researching the best and most radical systems?
If he is so concerned about not wasting money, I suggest that he gives some of his pay rise to level the burden...

No comments:
Post a Comment