Sunday, 22 June 2008

A right Royal visit.


Oh gosh. I'm faltering on the blog scene aren't I? But that's justified by the fact that I've just written a blog for ourkingdom regarding the Tories and devolution, so that should go live in the next few days. I've been really busy this week with attending local events to mark Refugee Week, to speaking at an event to support asylum seekers, to doing street surgeries in Porthcawl. These are all very valid reasons as to why I haven't been here on the blogosphere, although I do keep up to date with the affairs of the day from the comfort of my twitter page welsh politics updates.

Today I was on the Politics Show in Wales talking about Prince Charles's visit to the Assembly next week( its not a breach of security to discuss it we learnt today, as all the details are on the Royal Family website- check it out!) He is set to open the new youth chamber at the National Assembly, and I voiced my concerns with the fact that an unaccountable and undemocratic representative will be opening the chamber. After all, we are seeking to encourage young people to engage in politics, and the involvement of the Monarchy may well lead to more disengagement from our youth in the political process. How about asking a young person to 'officially' open the chamber. Would that be beyond the realm of possibility?

I haven't been invited to the day of Royal bonanza at the Senedd, but as I left the Assembly today there were decorators in painting the walls of Ty Hywel. A member of staff muttered to me- 'If the weather is nice, he won't even walk through Ty Hywel anyway, so what's the point?' Is it a wonder that the Royal family believe that everywhere they go in the world smells of fresh paint and flowers, when public institutions must foot the bill to ensure that they don't see the cracks in the walls? I've put in a Freedom of Information request to find out how much this visit is costing the Assembly's Commission. Its times like this that I wish that I'd taken my full pay rise, as I know on good authority that the pay rise I didn't take went straight back in to the hands of the Commission! Is this really a good use of our resources?

So, another busy week ahead, what with Prince Charles's visit, and the controversy over the Israeli Ambassador's visit also. I can guarantee you that security will be tight this week at the Senedd so if you are considering visiting the Chamber to see the portrait of Maggie Thatcher, I'd probably wait a bit....

1 comment:

cornubian said...

How to make a country disappear: http://duchyofcornwall.eu/

Well I don’t have the exact formula but if you study this website from the Duchy of Cornwall Human Rights Association you’ll be able to see exactly the constitutional loops the establishment and Duchy authority have jumped through to turn Cornwall, an extraterritorial crown possession legally separate from England, into a supposed English county.

This site explains how a British territorial possession became someone’s private estate.

It makes great and fairly easy reading and should be studied by all those interested in the UK constitution. For more details of the Duchy scam you can listen to the person behind the Duchy of Cornwall Human Rights Association, John Angarrack, in interview on BBC radio Cornwall talking about his new book here: http://www.myspace.com/thecornwellian

If you want to find out more then try the books on the Cornish question by John Angarrack: http://johnangarrack.co.uk/


In the 19th century a dispute blew up between the Crown (UK government) and the Duchy of Cornwall (Cornish government) over the foreshore of Cornwall. At this time Cornwall was producing tin and a lot of the foreshore had mine shafts under it so you can imagine that a fair bit of money was at stake.

The dispute went to arbitration as there was no court in the land deemed high enough.

The Duchy won and did so by effectively proving that all of Cornwall was the Duchy and that this was exterior to the crown i.e. Cornwall was outside the UK.

The Duchy provided reams of documents to support its case and even made mention of the territorial waters of Cornwall as a threat in case the Crown did not capitulate.

One key passage from the Duchy is:

That Cornwall, like Wales, was at the time of the Conquest, and was subsequently treated in many respects as distinct from England.

That it was held by the Earls of Cornwall with the rights and prerogative of a County Palatine, as far as regarded the Seignory or territorial dominion.

That the Dukes of Cornwall have from the creation of the Duchy enjoyed the rights and prerogatives of a County Palatine, as far as regarded seignory or territorial dominion, and that to a great extent by Earls.

That when the Earldom was augmented into a Duchy, the circumstances attending to it's creation, as well as the language of the Duchy Charter, not only support and confirm natural presumption, that the new and higher title was to be accompanied with at least as great dignity, power, and prerogative as the Earls enjoyed, but also afforded evidence that the Duchy was to be invested with still more extensive rights and privileges.

The Duchy Charters have always been construed and treated, not merely by the Courts of Judicature, but also by the Legislature of the Country, as having vested in the Dukes of Cornwall the whole territorial interest and dominion of the Crown in and over the entire County of Cornwall.

All of the above is explored in much greater detail on John Angarracks website as well as:

The Cornish Stannary Parliament: http://www.cornishstannaryparliament.co.uk/

Tyr Gwyr Gweryn: http://www.kernowtgg.co.uk/


If you’re interested here are two Cornish forums where you can discuss the issues I’ve rasied on this thread in much more detail.

Cornwall 24: http://www.cornwall24.co.uk/module-pnForum.htm

This is NOT England: http://thisisnotengland.co.uk/forum/index.php

Drop by and say hi.