Apologies for failing to blog in a few days. I was really ill yesterday, and am trying to catch up with everything today. Some of the blogs have made reference to my question to the First Minister on Tuesday requesting that he looks at securing observer status for Wales on the UN General Assembly. I was inspired to place this as a question following Elin Jones's heartfelt speech at our last Conference-unknowingly making the case fore more powers for Wales due to the fact that she could not partake in discussions with the Uk Government during an emergency meeting concerning foot and mouth.
It made me realise that we must push forward with enhancing Wales's links with the wider International community- as Wales, and not merely as part of the UK. Surely if people believe in devolution, they can see a strong case for us attending such meetings, and promoting Wales as a serious force in the World?
Perhaps not, that is for Rhodri Morgan to discuss now that he has conceded to consider this as a viable option for Wales.
After all, he has nothing to lose in doing so, especially as he is stepping down as First Minister very soon. Surely he wants his legacy to be much more than providing free transport for the elderly? ( Regardless of how important this is to those that benefit from it)
On the other issue- of the comments made by Dafydd Elis Thomas on the Israeli visit to the Assembly.. I don't particularly want to get sucked in to this issue if I am honest. I won't be boycotting the event, but I sincerely believe that the Presiding Officer has the right to make a principled stand on this matter. He can and should be political as one of the leaders of the National Assembly. There are no rules saying that the Presiding Officer cannot voice opinions of the sort.
Nevertheless, I only wish that he was as strong willed on the issue of the Monarchy. Prince Charles is visiting in the same week as the Israeli delegates. I am not invited to meet him surprisingly, but I will certainly be voicing my opposition to an unelected and archaic Institution.



1 comment:
With regard to Welch Immigration to America between (1700 -18800) especially to Bergen County, NY, USA, Can you tell me which part of Wales that I can research to find details of these orgins?
Best regards,
Waverly Jenkins
(703) 527-6046
Arlington, VA. 22201
http://urbannets.blogspot.com
Post a Comment