I today issued a joint statement with other Plaid AMs opposing the formation of a coalition government between Plaid and the Tories. We suspended talks with Labour which I do not believe should have been suspended at this stage. Obviously, a vote will now be taken at both National Exec and National Council level, and I will respect the decisions made during such discussions, and abide by the decision of those democratic processes.
I am sure many of you would agree with my stance, others of you would not. My principles shape my politics, and therefore this is reflected in the way that I voted. I'd rather be honest than shy away from taking decisions like this- which are hard to make as you may understand.
Glyn Davies, a well know advocake of the Rainbow coalition ( or triple alliance) is still complementary of the ' Group of Four' who earlier said on his blog-
'Those 4 Plaid girls have got real b***s. I might not like it - but I'm really impressed'.
Anyway, here is the statement-
Leanne Wood AM said:
"It is with regret that we do not agree with the decision made in our group meeting today. We respectfully disagree.
"We fought this election on a platform to deliver a proper Parliament for our nation. A deal with the Conservatives would undermine the chance of delivering that goal."
Helen Mary Jones AM added:
"There is a clash of values and principles between Plaid and the Conservatives. That is why we believe an arrangement between us would be unsustainable in the long-run and not deliver the stable government for which we all strive.
"We have thought long and hard about making a public statement. But, we think it is now right that we seek to convince our members to oppose what we believe would be a mistaken decision."
..............................................................................................................
Heddiw fe ymunais gyda ACau Plaid eraill mewn datgan ein gwrthwynebiad i ffurfio clymblaid rhwng Plaid a'r Toriaid. Rydym wedi crogiannu trafodaethau gyda Llafur a ddylai fod wedi parhau, yn yr adeg yma. Cyn hir, bydd pleidlais ar lefel y Bwrdd Gwaith Cenedlaethol a'r Cyngor Cenedlaethol, a byddaf yn parchu unrhyw benderfyniad o'r trafodaethau, a derbyn canlyniad y broses democrataidd.Rwyf yn sicr y bydd llawer ohonoch yn cytuno a'm safiad, a rhai ddim. Mae fy egwyddorau yn llunio fy ngwleidyddiaeth, a mae hyn wedi adlewyrchu yn y ffordd a bleidleisiais. Buasai'n well gen i fod yn wir i'n egwyddorau na rhedeg o benderfyniad anodd.
Mae Glyn Davies hyd yn oed, sydd yn cefnogi'r glymblaid enfys, wedi ffeindio'r egni i rhoi clod i'r 'Grwp o 4' am ein safiad. Dywedodd ar ei blog:
'Those 4 Plaid girls have got real b***s. I might not like it - but I'm really impressed'.
Dyma'r datganiad ta beth:
Dywedodd Leanne Wood AC:
"It is with regret that we do not agree with the decision made in our group meeting today. We respectfully disagree.
"We fought this election on a platform to deliver a proper Parliament for our nation. A deal with the Conservatives would undermine the chance of delivering that goal."
Ychwanegodd Helen Mary Jones AC:
"There is a clash of values and principles between Plaid and the Conservatives. That is why we believe an arrangement between us would be unsustainable in the long-run and not deliver the stable government for which we all strive."We have thought long and hard about making a public statement. But, we think it is now right that we seek to convince our members to oppose what we believe would be a mistaken decision."

16 comments:
I agree that a rainbow coalition could be to the detrament of the party and its aspirations for a Parliament referendum. The support of Labour AMs to a referendum is paramount as there needs to be 2/3 vote for a referendum. Also although plaid would lead the government its 4 ministers would be out voted to the Cons and Lib Dems combined 5. Should there be an issue both the Cons and Lib Dems agree on against Plaid, they would easily win the day. So how much control can PC have?
Someone thins that you may have got it wrong, see:
http://cymru2020.blogspot.com/2007/05/wimmin-bloody-wimmin.html
Dwi'n cymeradwyo'r safiad, Bethan. Mae egwyddorau mor bwysig i ni fel sosialwyr, yn enwedig i ni bobl ifanc! Mae hi yn anodd dweud os y byddai clymblaid yn drychineb - gyda'r cytundeb iawn, mi allai weithio, er i ni deimlo'n annifyr gyda'r Toriaid gerllaw.
Ond un peth yn sicr - roedd yn rhy fuan i ddiweddu trafodaeth gyda Llafur. Ac un peth arall yn sicr hefyd - ti wedi gwneud y peth iawn i Gymru.
Ond be fydd eich safiad chi os bydd y Blaid yn cefnogi'r Enfys ddydd Sadwrn, Bethan?
Ond beth fyddwch chi'n ei wneud os bydd y Blaid yn cefnogi'r Enfys ddydd Sadwrn, Bethan? Gwrthod cydweithio a'r Toriaid o hyd?
wyt ti hyd yn oed wedi darllen fy mlog hogyn o rachub?
Do tad Bethan, a dw i'n derbyn beth wyt ti wedi ei ddweud. Er, wrth gwrs, dim ond siarad dros dy hun a fedri a fydd y tair arall yn gwneud yr un peth?
Poeni ydw i y gall datganiad o'r math, wedi cael ei gwneud mor fuan wedi'r cyfarfod ddoe, amharu ar sefydlogrwydd unrhyw ddĂȘl potensial yn sylweddol. Y wers galetaf y mae Plaid wedi ei ddysgu ers 1999 yw bod ffraeo mewnol yn gwanhau plaid gwleidyddol yn sylweddol.
Ac, os ga' i ddweud, onid yw datganiad o'r math o leiaf yn awgrymu'n gryf anallu ar ran y pedair aelod i gydweithio efo'r Toriaid? Byddai hynny'n sefyllfa anodd hynod (er yn ddiddorol!)
Bethan
This is really, really lame - so obviously contrived as to beggar belief.
Ieuan lets the four of you 'socialists' bleat like babies for a few days, before going along with the deal because your members want to. It's embarrassing. If your politics are shaped by your principles, oppose the deal. If not, back it. Just don’t try and insult the electorate’s intelligence with this pathetic half-way house.
Dwi ddim yn gallu siarad dros y gweddill, ond mi fydd hi'n anodd i mi gyfiawnhau peidio dilyn barn aelodau. Rhaid gweld beth fydd yn digwydd ar ddydd sadwrn.
Yn fy marn i, mi oedd angen i ni rhoi datganiad allan. Dyden ni, yn bur wahanol i bobl sydd o blaid enfys fel Cynog Dafis, ddim wedi dweud unrhywbeth yn erbyn hyd nes nawr am y rheswm syml o beidio amharu ar drafodaethau. Doedd dim balans i'r ddadl- ac mae na ddadl am hyn,nid yw hwn yn gyfrinach.
Tasa trafodaethau wedi cael ei wneud i'r eithaf gyda Llafur basa fy nadl yn wan, ond dydw i ddim yn cytuno bod hynny wedi digwydd. Rhwydd hynt i ti feirniadu hynny yn sicr.
Ar ddiwedd y dydd, rwy am gael y del gore i Gymru. Rwy'n hapus i bobl lawr y lein gweud 'I told you so' os mae'r enfys yn llwyddiannus, ond dim dyna yw fy nheimlad greddfol.
Bethan
Are you noe refusing to post comments that disagree with you? Or only ones written in English?
not at all, robbie. I'm just finding the time to update everything.
I don't see how I am proposing a half way house. I am against the deal, but if the membership vote to support it, I will be in a difficult situation not to represent their views. I am entitles to my viewpoint as an elected representative, and I think I've made myself quite clear.
I don't think the Liberals are going to support this "deal" either.
I think Alex Carlile is right!
Bethan
Do you simply oppose a deal with the conservatives full stop or is it the specifics of the deal?
I think the anti-tory no matter what line is ludicrous as is the notion we are more likely to get a parliament for wales from labour.
Labour have created this situation if they had accepted the appalling result (a collapse in the vote hidden by the first past the post voting system) and were serious about change then support for some sort of minority government would be credible. They are behvaing as if nothing has changed.
Stillf the Libs dont back the rainbow then Labour are back in and the libs get the blame...I could live with that!
Now that Plaid are out of jail, and the fib dems have as usual, prvoed that they are the biggest political prostitutes going, what now for Plaid?
there are in my view, huge opportunities especially as plaid are a left of centre party.
the more immediate question though bethan, is can wyn jones survive as leader?
Well Bethan, it looks like you got your way. I respect you standing up for your views even though I thought them wrong. Independance in thought rather than a bunch of robots is good but I don't think the timing was right at all.
I'm only glad that it will be remembered that it was the Lib Dems that destroyed this chance of mature democracy in Wales and Plaid may still come out of it with something. But I think that Labour now has a stronger negotiating position as a second election would be very embarrasing for the nation and damaging for any part that has been seen as forcing it to happen.
Wel Bethan, fydd beth oeddet ti wedi ei ddweud ddim yn gwneud gwahaniaeth rwan! Enfys neu beidio, mae'r Lib Dems yn weird...
Post a Comment