Wednesday, 20 June 2007

Daily events at the Senedd

I'm in the Chamber at the moment and things are getting quite heated about the fact that Rhodri Morgan is not here today. He is in London I understand, talking to Welsh Labour MP's about the Red-Green deal.

The debates this afternoon have centred on business rate relief and Climate Change. I have been somewhat frustrated in the last few days, as none of my questions have been called due to time restraints in the Chamber. I understand that we can't be here all night debating, and I don't think it would hold with other AM's!

I have a short debate next week which I am preparing for now. Such debates are important in terms of setting the agenda, and in encouraging real discussion in the Chamber- which is sometimes stifled.

Now, the Lib dem debate on the Barnett Formula is taking place. Nevertheless, this might be hugely out of date by next week as a decision on a coalition is finalised, and when issues surrounding Barnett will hopefully be addressed. Alun Cairns is speaking now, saying that we need evidence that the Barnett Formula doesn't work before calling for a review. I am sure that the Rainbowista's won't be pleased with that intervention.

For now, I will return to my work. I haven't had the benefit of receiving a 'special' keyboard like Peter Black has, so typing is not that enjoyable.

9 comments:

Alwyn ap Huw said...

Pam wnath pawb ymadael a'r siambr hanner ffordd trwy araith Ffred?

Anonymous said...

What is your debate about then? The environmental discussions are wasted here - looking through the amendments, nobody seems to understand what they are on about.

The discussion on business rates seem sensuble, but Kirsty Williams' amendment seems a bit... well, it wasn't composed with earth-logic.

Anonymous said...

Surely a review of the Barnett Formula... reviews whether it works or not? What's Alun Cairns on about? What do you think Bethan? It's all very well saying that a needs-based approach is necessary, rather than Barnett's method, but what do you actually propose?

View from the Glen said...

Does he have a Lib Dem destruct button on his keyboard?

Bwganbrain said...

How do you enjoy the lunch time start?
It must come as a shock to some.

Health questions looked better managed today than in the past, what did you think?

Mac said...

Bethan said:

"I have a short debate next week which I am preparing for now. Such debates are important in terms of setting the agenda, and in encouraging real discussion in the Chamber- which is sometimes stifled."

Is that something that has to do with the PO?

Bethan also said:

"I am sure that the Rainbowista's won't be pleased with that intervention."

Are you talking about your party? Or all of them?

I am was curious because I smell that dreaded enemy of party politics. Factionalism!

Peter Black said...

Bethan, the keyboard is allocated for health and safety reasons. If you want some advice about getting one ask me. I havent had any of my questions called this week either. It is very frustrating.

bethan said...

Alwyn ap huw- AM's are allowed to leave during debates if you are not required or allocated to speak. I hope that answers your question.

my debate is about student debt in Wales- yet to be written up!

cymro- we need a review of barnett as the current system is archaic. We obviously need to keep in mind that MP's have the decision on any implementation of a review, and lobby for its full implementation.

I was thinking Rainbowista's in terms of the Tories, not within Plaid, mac. Standing orders is the reason why I couldn't ask my question which means that there are time limits on areas of debate/ questions to ministers.

I will gladly receive advice on the keyboard Peter!

Anonymous said...

The current system was devised in the 1970s - so yes, it is archaic. But do we have a clear idea of what we want in its place? The independent commission will spend a few months writing up a hefty report that tells us what we know - that Barnett is unfair and doesn't reflect needs in Wales. Seems a bit of a waste of money if we have no clear idea what we want instead.

There are a few options, but there seems to be no discussion. Most advocates of scrapping Barnett seem to repeat the tired mantra of needs-based formulae. But needs assessment is extremely objective and has been widely criticized academically. So it does seem to me that a bit more than a review is required.