If you haven't been watching News 24 for the last few hours, you might just not know that there will be no snap election. You've probably been watching the X Factor or the other reality show on the BBC, or you might have a life, and be out having a good time and frankly, you probably don't care at this time of the evening.
Well, unfortunately I was one of those few watching News 24 and when I first switched on I thought there had been some sort of World crisis. Nick Robinson was twitching and staring in to the camera all doom and gloom, and Andrew Marr was busy shoving an ear piece on after his 'exclusive' with Gordon Brown, where he told us all that he would not be announcing that election after all. Now, if there ever was a boy who cried wolf...
The BBC reports that Cameron reacted with a 'new fire in his belly'- and sickeningly so, Cameron stood outside his house all demure and serious, stating that Gordon Brown had denied the voters of 'choice'. Well all I can say is, if Cameron is so distraught at this election being called off, then he should now call for a fixed term for General elections, so we won't have future Prime Minister's even considering playing political games on this level. It's not a positive aspect of the Westminster style of politics that such power should be in the hands of one person. But then we still have the Monarchy, so who am I to argue about this one tiny issue?
Obviously people are wise enough to realise that Brown was considering this election to make gains for the Labour party, and not much else. Now that he has done a u-turn, I think that his honeymoon period is well and truly over- at least in the press! Time will tell whether Cameron can sustain this new found confidence, or whether we really are looking too much in to the polls....

No comments:
Post a Comment