
This week’s guest blogger is Carl Harris. He studied Theatre at Trinity College,Carmarthen where he was later elected as the Deputy President of the Students' Union for two successive years. He has been involved with the National Union of Students' for 3 years and now works as the Deputy President of the NUS Wales.
For anyone that has heard of, or been involved in the national union, you may have often heard the line “we are the largest democratic organisation in Wales, representing over 250,000 students in the FE and HE sector”. In fairness this is a fact. Another fact is that the majority of our members are in the Further Education sector. However what have we done to justify that we really are the collective voice of students?
Well apart from… leading the fight against top up fees in Wales; pressuring the Government to stop universities charging every student a £50 administration fee to process their fees; winning 100% exemption from council tax and pressuring the Assembly Government to introduce the Assembly Learning Grant…There is still plenty more to do.
NUS Wales is here to promote, defend and extend the rights of students in Wales, and this year is no exception. Our priority campaigns focus on Education in the Further and Higher sector, the Welfare of students, and solidarity with our international counterparts.
On Higher Education - we will be campaigning to keep the cap on tuition fees in Wales and will be holding a demonstration outside the Welsh Assembly to highlight the amount of debt students in Wales are in after graduation. We want the WAG to recognise the amount of money that students put into the economy and to also recognise that students deserve free public transport in Wales – especially with the no doubt, soon to be rising cost of fees.
On Further Education – we have used the opportunity to input into the Webb Review and call for 1% of all FE college funding to go to Student Unions within that college. We believe it is fundamental that students have a voice over their education and can participate in decisions that affect them. Sufficient funding enables Unions to represent their students efficiently both internally and externally.
On Welfare – we are working with a number of external organisations to ensure that students have appropriate information and support in the areas of housing, health including sexual health, finance and employment rights. We begin our campaign in the New Year for Carbon Monoxide testers to be mandatory in all student houses/HMO’s.
There are many strands to all of our campaigns, and the above are just a few examples of what we are working on. I welcome any comments on what I’ve listed and hope they can cause some debate. If not, I am sure we’ve got plenty of other information that can cause a bit of controversy. Be sure to look out for our campaigns!
Well apart from… leading the fight against top up fees in Wales; pressuring the Government to stop universities charging every student a £50 administration fee to process their fees; winning 100% exemption from council tax and pressuring the Assembly Government to introduce the Assembly Learning Grant…There is still plenty more to do.
NUS Wales is here to promote, defend and extend the rights of students in Wales, and this year is no exception. Our priority campaigns focus on Education in the Further and Higher sector, the Welfare of students, and solidarity with our international counterparts.
On Higher Education - we will be campaigning to keep the cap on tuition fees in Wales and will be holding a demonstration outside the Welsh Assembly to highlight the amount of debt students in Wales are in after graduation. We want the WAG to recognise the amount of money that students put into the economy and to also recognise that students deserve free public transport in Wales – especially with the no doubt, soon to be rising cost of fees.
On Further Education – we have used the opportunity to input into the Webb Review and call for 1% of all FE college funding to go to Student Unions within that college. We believe it is fundamental that students have a voice over their education and can participate in decisions that affect them. Sufficient funding enables Unions to represent their students efficiently both internally and externally.
On Welfare – we are working with a number of external organisations to ensure that students have appropriate information and support in the areas of housing, health including sexual health, finance and employment rights. We begin our campaign in the New Year for Carbon Monoxide testers to be mandatory in all student houses/HMO’s.
There are many strands to all of our campaigns, and the above are just a few examples of what we are working on. I welcome any comments on what I’ve listed and hope they can cause some debate. If not, I am sure we’ve got plenty of other information that can cause a bit of controversy. Be sure to look out for our campaigns!
...................................................................................................
Y blogiwr gwadd ar fy mlog yr wythnos ‘ma yw Carl Harris. Fe wnaeth Carl astudio Theatr yng Ngholeg y Drindon, Caerfyrddin, lle ddaeth yn Ddirprwy Lywydd yn yr Undeb am dwy mlynedd yn olynol. Mae ef wedi bod yn rhan o UCMC am dair mlynedd, ac nawr fe yw Dirprwy Lywydd UCMC.
I’r rheiny ohonoch sydd wedi clywed am, neu wedi bod yn rhan o’r undeb cenedlaethol, mae’n bur debyg y byddwch yn gyfarwydd â’r dataganiad “ni yw’r mudiad democrataiddd mwyaf yng Nghymru, yn cynrychioli dros 250,000 o fyfyrwyr yn y sector AB ac AU”. Mae hyn yn ffaith. Mae hefyd yn ffaith fod y mwyafrif o’n haelodau yn y sector Addysg Bellach. Serch hynny, beth ydym ni wedi ei wneud i gyfiawnhau’r honiad mai ni yw llais cyfunol myfyrwyr?
Ar wahan i… arwain y frwydr yn erbyn ffioedd cyflenwi yng Nghymru; gosod pwysau ar y Llywodraeth i atal prifysgolion rhag codi ffi weinyddol ar brosesu eu ffioedd; sicrhau eithriad 100% rhag treth y cyngor, a dwyn pwysau ar Lywodraeth y Cynulliad i gyflwyno Grant Dysgu’r Cynulliad…. Mae dal i fod digonedd i’w wneud.
Mae UCMC yma i hyrwyddo, amdiffyn ac ymestyn hawliau myfyrwyr yng Nghymru, ac nid yw eleni yn wahanol yn hyn o beth. Mae ein prif ymgyrchoedd yn canolbwyntio ar Addysg yn y sector Bellach ac Uwch, a sefyll yn gadarn gyda’n cyfeillion rhyngwladol.
Addysg Uwch – byddwn yn ymgyrchu i gadw’r cap ar ffioedd dysgu yng Nghymru a byddwn yn cynnal gwrthdystiad tu allan i’r Cynulliad Cenedlaethol er mwyn dwyn sylw at lefel dyledion myfyrwyr yng Nghymru pan fyddant yn graddio. ‘Rydym eisiau i Lywodraeth y Cynulliad sylweddoli faint o arian mae myfyrwyr yn ei gyfrannu at yr economi a hefyd cydnabod fod myfyrwyr yn haeddu teithio am ddim ar drafnidiaeth gyhoeddus yng Nghymru – yn arbennig o gofio y bydd ffioedd yn sicr o gynyddu cyn bo hir.
Addysg Bellach – ‘rydym wedi defnyddio’r cyfle i gyfrannu at Adolygiad Webb ac wedi galw am 1% o gyllid pob coleg AB i fynd i Undeb y Myfyrwyr yn y coleg hwnnw. Credwn ei bod yn hanfodol bwysig i fyfyrwyr gael llais yn eu haddysg ac y gallant gyfranogi mewn penderfyniadau sy’n effeithio arnynt hwy. Mae cyllido digonol yn galluogi Undebau i gynrychioli eu myfyrwyr yn effeithiol, yn fewnol ac yn allanol.
Lles – ‘rydym yn gweithio gyda nifer o fudiadau allanol er mwyn sicrhau fod myfyrwyr yn cael gwybodaeth a chefnogaeth briodol ym meysydd llety, iechyd, gan gynnwys iechyd rhywiol, trin arian a hawliau cyflogaeth. Byddwn yn dechrau ein hymgyrch yn y Flwyddyn Newydd dros wneud offer canfod carbon monocsid yn orfodol ym mhob llety myfyrwyr a thai aml-ddeiliaid.
Mae yna sawl rhan i’n hymgyrchoedd; dim ond enghreifftiau o’r hyn ‘rydym yn gweithio arnynt yw’r uchod. Buaswn yn croesawu unrhyw sylwadau ar yr hyn ‘rwyf wedi eu rhestru, a gobeithio y gallant ysgogi rhywfaint o drafodaeth. Os na allant, mae’n sicr fod gennym ddigonedd o wybodaeth ddadleuol ar eich cyfer. Gwyliwch allan am ein hymgyrchoedd!
I’r rheiny ohonoch sydd wedi clywed am, neu wedi bod yn rhan o’r undeb cenedlaethol, mae’n bur debyg y byddwch yn gyfarwydd â’r dataganiad “ni yw’r mudiad democrataiddd mwyaf yng Nghymru, yn cynrychioli dros 250,000 o fyfyrwyr yn y sector AB ac AU”. Mae hyn yn ffaith. Mae hefyd yn ffaith fod y mwyafrif o’n haelodau yn y sector Addysg Bellach. Serch hynny, beth ydym ni wedi ei wneud i gyfiawnhau’r honiad mai ni yw llais cyfunol myfyrwyr?
Ar wahan i… arwain y frwydr yn erbyn ffioedd cyflenwi yng Nghymru; gosod pwysau ar y Llywodraeth i atal prifysgolion rhag codi ffi weinyddol ar brosesu eu ffioedd; sicrhau eithriad 100% rhag treth y cyngor, a dwyn pwysau ar Lywodraeth y Cynulliad i gyflwyno Grant Dysgu’r Cynulliad…. Mae dal i fod digonedd i’w wneud.
Mae UCMC yma i hyrwyddo, amdiffyn ac ymestyn hawliau myfyrwyr yng Nghymru, ac nid yw eleni yn wahanol yn hyn o beth. Mae ein prif ymgyrchoedd yn canolbwyntio ar Addysg yn y sector Bellach ac Uwch, a sefyll yn gadarn gyda’n cyfeillion rhyngwladol.
Addysg Uwch – byddwn yn ymgyrchu i gadw’r cap ar ffioedd dysgu yng Nghymru a byddwn yn cynnal gwrthdystiad tu allan i’r Cynulliad Cenedlaethol er mwyn dwyn sylw at lefel dyledion myfyrwyr yng Nghymru pan fyddant yn graddio. ‘Rydym eisiau i Lywodraeth y Cynulliad sylweddoli faint o arian mae myfyrwyr yn ei gyfrannu at yr economi a hefyd cydnabod fod myfyrwyr yn haeddu teithio am ddim ar drafnidiaeth gyhoeddus yng Nghymru – yn arbennig o gofio y bydd ffioedd yn sicr o gynyddu cyn bo hir.
Addysg Bellach – ‘rydym wedi defnyddio’r cyfle i gyfrannu at Adolygiad Webb ac wedi galw am 1% o gyllid pob coleg AB i fynd i Undeb y Myfyrwyr yn y coleg hwnnw. Credwn ei bod yn hanfodol bwysig i fyfyrwyr gael llais yn eu haddysg ac y gallant gyfranogi mewn penderfyniadau sy’n effeithio arnynt hwy. Mae cyllido digonol yn galluogi Undebau i gynrychioli eu myfyrwyr yn effeithiol, yn fewnol ac yn allanol.
Lles – ‘rydym yn gweithio gyda nifer o fudiadau allanol er mwyn sicrhau fod myfyrwyr yn cael gwybodaeth a chefnogaeth briodol ym meysydd llety, iechyd, gan gynnwys iechyd rhywiol, trin arian a hawliau cyflogaeth. Byddwn yn dechrau ein hymgyrch yn y Flwyddyn Newydd dros wneud offer canfod carbon monocsid yn orfodol ym mhob llety myfyrwyr a thai aml-ddeiliaid.
Mae yna sawl rhan i’n hymgyrchoedd; dim ond enghreifftiau o’r hyn ‘rydym yn gweithio arnynt yw’r uchod. Buaswn yn croesawu unrhyw sylwadau ar yr hyn ‘rwyf wedi eu rhestru, a gobeithio y gallant ysgogi rhywfaint o drafodaeth. Os na allant, mae’n sicr fod gennym ddigonedd o wybodaeth ddadleuol ar eich cyfer. Gwyliwch allan am ein hymgyrchoedd!
You can contact Carl by emailing carl.harris@nus-wales.org.uk

9 comments:
Bethan,
Are you in agreement with Carl that NUS Wales should scrap the post of Women's Officer and repalce it with a Welsh Language officer?
I'm not in the NUS any more so I'm not going to get involved in any political discussion which is for the membership. One thing I do know is that it won't be 'scrapping' the Women's Officer though. There would still be a non-sabb Women's Officer if this motion is passed. This does not mean for one moment that I am supporting one side of the argument. I'll leave that to the Conference members!
As a member of the Assembly's Equality of Opportunity committee, do you not think that getting rid of the position of a full time women's officer within NUS Wales is a retrograde step? There's a non-sabb welsh language officer at the moment - what's wrong with that? I’m willing to risk saying that there are far more female students in Wales than there are welsh speaking students!
I'm amazed that someone who lists Equality as one of their political interests’ isn’t prepared to stand up for female students in this case!
Being that Carl is a member of Plaid then it’s pretty obvious that his sole motivation behind this is to introduce a means by which Plaid’s desire to wield some influence within NUS Wales, in order to push your nationalistic ideology into Higher and Further education, is realised.
Anon- If I was a member of NUS then I would voice my opinion clearly. I think this is a membership issue and that they should make an informed decision without intervention from AM's.
Carl did not put forward this motion, it was done so by 8 Student Union's across Wales, so I don't think that it is right that you are trying to turn this issue in to a political tool in which to attack Plaid Cymru.
I am not sure if it is 8. Before I am corrected I will remove that comment!
I think it is important I point out a few things for you Anon...
Firstly, you need to get your facts right as I have nothing to do with the motion that has been submitted to NUS Wales' Winter Council. It was submitted by 6 HEI's from different cultral areas of Wales. My grievances lie with receiving a mandate on which way to vote. Although, not many people know about that and it is a completely seperate issue.
For you to ask whether Bethan is in agreement with me is completely out of order. If Bethan wanted to comment on the motion, she certainly wouldn't be agreeing me with me. She would be agreeing with 50% of the HEI's in Wales. The fact that Bethan has chosen to stay out of the debate is very noble. People who aren't involved in NUS Wales anymore seem to be doing more talking and bad mouthing than those involved now!
I will be the first to say that I have strong political views. However, I do not understand why you are bringing politics into this debate when I do not consider it to be a political issue. The institutions that have submitted the motion may have political views behind the motion, but I'll repeat myself and say it has nothing to do with me.
I take very seriously your accusations of pushing a Plaid agenda within NUS Wales. I stood for the position as Deputy President because as a student union sabbatical, NUS Wales wasn't delivering for the students I represented. It lacked committed officers willing to stand up for the rights of students. That is the sole reason for standing and my political opinions will not come into any equation when it comes to promoting, defending and extending the rights of students in Wales.
Please feel free to write to me and I will be willing to give you any further information you require. Maybe I could even give you the facts that you seem to be lacking. Please remember, that my guest blog on Bethan's page was to inform anyone of what NUS Wales has done and what we are doing in the future - not for Bethan to be asked to comment on issues out of her control.
Bethan often comments on issues that are “out of her control”, so I see no reason to ask her to comment on issues that she should, as an AM who is a member of the Assembly’s Equality of Opportunity committee, have an opinion on.
Replacing the women’s officer with a welsh language officer quite clearly emanates from a very narrow minded welsh nationalist agenda – and being that you are, to the very best of my knowledge, the only Plaid supporting Sabbatical officer in NUS Wales, it’s pretty obvious that you must be supportive of it. What’s wrong with the present set-up, of a full time women’s officer and a non-sabbatical welsh language officer? By refusing to comment, Bethan obviously believes the rights of welsh speakers is a far more important issue to have a full time campaigner concentrating their efforts on rather than a full time women’s officer. Having a Welsh language officer within NUS Wales would be ideal for pushing for a Welsh federal college, further welsh language legislation, etc, wouldn’t it?
“It has nothing to do with me” Carl, perhaps you should look up the definition of “collective responsibility.” Do you really expect us to believe that all six HEI’s involved with this motion conjured up the idea of replacing the women’s officer with a Welsh language officer all by themselves?
To say that NUS Wales “lacked committed officers willing to stand up for the rights of students” is frankly, quite disgraceful. Perhaps it might be worth revisiting the reasons why James Knight was forced to step down from his position as President of NUS Wales?
Maybe it’s actually more of a case that the current set of officers lack the commitment to “stand up for the rights of students”, and the main reason why those that “aren't involved in NUS Wales anymore seem to be doing more talking and bad mouthing than those involved now!” - because they see that what is happening now is geared more towards implementing nationalistic ideology rather than standing up for the rights of ALL students in Wales.
so... what started out as a small political jab, is now a full on attack at my political views ay?
There are many things I could comment on from your last post, but if I am perfectly honest, I have better things to do than to honour your stupid comments with a lengthy reply. I will however touch on one or two things.
Your suggestion that a full time Welsh Language officer would be ideal for the Welsh Federal College, and further Welsh Language legistlation... I suppose I could agree with you on that, it would be good for the campaign. However, I believe the campaign has done very, very well with only a part time officer in place. It is not only the policy of the Welsh Language Liberation group, it is the policy of the whole of NUS Wales and we have fought that campaign for years collectively. So in my opinion, it isn't an idealist approach at all.
Do I expect you to believe that all 6 HEI's involved in the motion conjured up the idea themselves?... I don't know if you've been involved in NUS Wales before, I'm guessing you have, so I wonder why you speak so lowly of student union officers? Sabbatical officers around Wales have a very close working relationship, something I hope NUS Wales has helped to build. It doesn't take much to pick up the phone or send an e-mail to eachother Anon. I'd go as far to say that this is the most organised officers have been since the time they got together against James Knight. Which moves me onto my final point of your post...
As for visiting reasons as to why James Knight was forced to step down... I was a sabbatical officer in Trinity at the time of JK's resignation. Who knows, I could be experiencing a similar scenario on here?...Certain individuals who have one thing in their mind and try to turn people against one person. Just a suggestion!
Just for you to know, I have a democratic mandate to support the Women's Officer in NUS Wales.
anon said- 'Bethan obviously believes the rights of welsh speakers is a far more important issue to have a full time campaigner concentrating their efforts on rather than a full time women’s officer'.
no i don't at all, and I'd appreciate you didn't make assumptions like this. I have said my piece but the above comment is untrue.
Post a Comment