Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Should you be an AM and an MP?

I received a request to join the Facebook group 'Elect Alun Cairns as MP for the Vale of Glamorgan,' so I take it that Alun Cairns has recently been selected as the candidate for the area. Well I wish him all the best, of course, but I would like to know that if he did win the seat, would he stand down as an AM?

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of those who stay on as an AM and an MP- from any party. We've heard over the last few weeks how the workload will be growing at the Assembly with new scrutiny committees which will come about as a result of the new powers. I really don't see how it will be possible for anybody to perform dual roles effectively.

This isn't an attack on anyone's ability, only that I don't believe, time wise, that it will work. We will already have clashes for various committees when we return to Assembly business in September, after all. This isn't to say that Alun Cairns will necessarily win, but I think we should assess whether AM's and MP's can take on the responsibility of dual positions generally.


..................................................................................................


Fe wnes i dderbyn cais gan Alun Cairns ar Facebook i ymuno a'r grwp 'Elect Alun Cairns as MP for the val of Glamorgan', felly rwy ar ddeall fod o wedi cael ei ddewis yn ddiweddar fel ymgeisydd ar gyfer yr ardal. Pob dymuniad da iddo, ynte, ond hoffwn wybod, os ydy o'n ennill y sedd hynny, a fydd o'n sefyll lawr fel AC?

Rhaid cyfaddef nad ydwyf yn or hoff o'r syniad bod gwleidydd yn AC ac AS ar yr un pryd- o unrhyw Plaid gwleidyddol. Rydym wedi clywed dros yr wythnosau diwethaf sut y bydd pwysau gwaith ACau yn tyfu o ganlyniad i bwyllgorau newydd a fydd yn scriwtineiddio deddfau yn ol y pwerau newydd. Dwi ddim yn hollol siwr sut y bydd o'n bosib i berson cyflawni dau swydd yn llwyddiannus.

Nid yw hwn yn ymosodiad ar gallu unrhywun yn benodol, ond yn nhermau amser, dwi ddim yn sicr o sut fydd o'n gallu gweithio. Byddem yn cael problem pan fydd pwyllgorau yn digwydd yr un pryd yn barod pan fyddem yn mynd nol at waith y Cynulliad ym mis Medi, wedi'r cyfan. Dyw hwn ddim i weud y bydd Alun Cairns yn ennill o rheidrwydd, ond yn sylwad ar yr angen i asesu a ddylai ACau fod yn AS hefyd, ac hynny ar lefel cyffredinol.

3 comments:

gwe said...

Bethan, I agree that being an AM and MP is highly problematic, especially with the added workload on AMs come September.

I think that AMs should relinquish their Westminster seats and vice versa as soon as possible. Parties are probably reluctant to do this because of the stir bye-elections can create, but that should be secondary to the interests of electors.

I would go further and say that AMs should step down from being councillors as well. Peter Black and Gareth Jones will probably disagree!

Blamerbell said...

You could start with Alex Salmond...

bethan said...

well Alex Salmond has lots on his plate now, so I would second that.

Councillor and AM- I would agree also with that sentiment. having the resources/ profile of being an AM surely is an unfair advantage?